Tanda Tula Safari Camp
Tanda Tula Safari Camp is an owner-run tented game lodge situated in the heart of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, forming part of the Greater Kruger National Park. Tanda Tula is the oldest safari camp in the Timbavati. Steeped in history, our roots go back many generations linking conservation and the Shangaan culture, and our joy is sharing it with the world.
As one of South Africa’s most luxurious tented bushveld lodges, we offer our guests an unforgettable experience in game viewing, warm hospitality and award-winning cuisine. Consisting of 12 luxurious tents, Tanda Tula Safari Camp exudes elegance and combines comfort and style with African roots. The open plan lodge, which is completely unfenced, merges luxury with the natural environment.
Tanda Tula Safari Camp is sanctuary to Africa’s Big Five, with traversing over more than 20,000 ha of wilderness and undisturbed biodiversity. As there are no fences between the Timbavati and Kruger National Park, game are able to roam freely between the two, offering guests an incredible African wildlife experience. Our highly skilled ranger and tracker teams guide our guests in the early mornings and evenings, in open Land Rovers or on foot.
Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to Availability
Luxury Tent x 12
|1 Jan - 31 Dec 2021|
|Per Person Sharing Per Night||R12 600|
|Per teen per night (13 – 19 years)||R9 450|
|Per child per night (6 – 12 years)||R6 300|
|Star Bed Surcharge per night (maximum 2 guests)
Available March – September. Settled directly in Camp
|Guide & Pilot Tent - Per person per night||R2 145|
|Conservation Levy - Per person per night||R 400|
|Tanda Tula Foundation Contrybution - Per person per stay||R 150|
* Single/third person rate: in compliance with Timbavati capacity regulations, a 3rd person sharing with 2 adults is allocated a tent and pays the single surcharge of 50%.
** Star bed is subject to weather and availability. Bookings are made provisionally, and guests settle the surcharge directly at the camp.
Timbavati Private Game Reserve is home to the popular Big Five and other wildlife animals such as buffalo. Enjoy a sundowner as the sunsets in the Timbavati and watch the beautiful stars light up at night. Guests are able to try their hand at fishing in the dam or enjoy a photographic safari with a professional who will teach guests about taking the best wildlife photo.
Guests can view lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo and rhino, in over 10 000 hectares (24 000 acres) of traversing area, also home to over 40 mammal species and 350 bird species. Bird-lovers would struggle to replicate this calibre of bird watching anywhere else in the world, with the Timbavati featuring over 360 different species.
The dry months of June to September is peak wildlife viewing time in Timbavati. August to September is a desirable time to visit, as the temperature warms up and sightings are made even easier because animals gather around predictable water sources.
Immerse yourself into the Safari Camp experience for longer. Stay for 7 nights and only pay for 5.
EXPERIENCE THE BEST OF BOTH: valid all year 2021
Combine 3 nights at Safari Camp and 3 nights at Field Camp and receive the 3rd night free at Field Camp
HONEYMOONS: valid all year (non-combinable) 2021
One partner receives 75% off. Minimum 3 nights and includes 1 complimentary private romantic dinner,
served on the couple’s private deck. Honeymooners must stay within 1 year of marriage.
Spanning more than 55 000 hectares and open to the Kruger National Park, the Timbavati is known for its diversity of animals including the Big Five. During your stay you are likely to spot a variety of wildlife including elephant, lion, leopard, large herds of buffalo, rhino, zebra, giraffe, wildebeest, kudu and the rare wild dogs. Two daily game drives are led by our professional guides and trackers, providing the perfect opportunity to get up close to African game.
Game drive vehicles accommodate a maximum of 6 guests in order to ensure an exclusive safari experience.
GUIDED SAFARI WALKS
Guided walks, between one and two hours, usually take place after breakfast.
Your expert guide will lead you as you track game on foot and explore the African wilderness and learn more about the smaller creatures and flora of the region.
Bush breakfasts are a superb way to end the morning game drive. Set out on the banks of the riverbed, our chefs prepare an extensive continental buffet and a cooked English breakfast feast.
Lunches are set up in different locations in camp daily. Dinners are a social affair, set in various locations every night often getting closer to nature. Our guests are seated at one long table and are hosted by our staff, guides, managers and owners.
A main lounge overlooking the riverbed swimming pool and watering hole
We accommodate only 6 guests per game drive vehicle in order to ensure an exclusive safari experience
Our chefs are able to cater for any special dietary requirement
A gift shop featuring safari clothing as well as arts and crafts from the region
Premium wines and champagne menu
The camp is completely unfenced merging luxury with the natural environment.
The tented camp consists of just 12 secluded, luxury tents, each with a breathtaking view over the riverbed. The East African styled tents are the epitome of simple luxury, comfort and style mirroring the early tented camps of Africa. Each luxurious tent features its own en-suite bathroom, Victorian bathtub, outdoor shower and a spacious deck overlooking the riverbed and African bush.
Electricity & power are available with 220V. Converters are supplied in each tent.
- Transfers to and from Rockfig Airstrip in the Timbavati.
- Accommodation, all meals and drinks (excluding connoisseur wines and French Champagne).
- Safari activities (maximum 6 guests per vehicle at Tanda Tula Safari Camp).
- Laundry and mini-bar at Tanda Tula Safari Camp.
- 15% VAT.
- Transfers to and from outside the Timbavati and Tanda Tula.
- Connoisseur wines and French Champagne, curios, gratuities & telephone calls
- Timbavati Conservation Levy
- Landing fees
- Timbavati vehicle entrance fee
- 20% non-refundable commitment fee is required within 48 hours to confirm the booking
- Balance of payment is 60 days prior to arrival in peak season.
- Children aged 6 and older are welcome.
- Children sharing: 6 –12 years pay 50%.
- Teens sharing: 13 –19 years pay 75%.
- Children sharing a suite: we recommend that children share a suite with either a teen or an adult.
- Single teen in own suite: must be 13 years or older and pays adult per night rate.
- if cancelled between confirmation and 61 days prior to arrival, the 20% commitment fee is forfeited.
- if cancelled between 60 days prior to arrival, the full reservation value is forfeited.
- All cancelled bookings that qualify for a refund, will be refunded less a 5% handing fee.
- Our Covid-19 policy is to accommodate a maximum of 4 guests per vehicle unless guests are travelling in the same group. We will revert back to 6 guests when the Covid-19 policy allows. A private vehicle can be
booked for R10 000 per day (subject to availability).
- ROAD: Road transfers in an air-conditioned vehicle can be arranged from Hoedspruit, Phalaborwa and Nelspruit airports
- AIR:Federal Air have 2 x scheduled flights from Johannesburg to Rockfig Airstrip. Please check the details with us at the time of booking. Rates include complimentary return transfers between Rockfig Airstrip and the camp.
Aeroplane or heli-transfers to KMIA or Sabi Sand airstrips.
Provisional reservations may be held for a limited period of time, after which time the Agent/Operator is required to either release or confirm the reservation by paying the applicable deposit.
LEVY & FEE EXCLUSIONS FOR CAMPS & HOMESTEAD
- Conservation Levy per person per night R 400
- Tanda Tula Foundation contribution per person per stay R 150
- Landing fees at Rockfig Airstrip per landing/take-off. R 450
- Greater Kruger vehicle entrance fee per vehicle for self-drive guests only, payable at the control gate. R 220
Tanda Tula will allow postponement of a booking for up to 12 months, if travel is cancelled with a commitment fee or 60 days or less prior to arrival due to a WHO-recognised pandemic directly impacting the guests’ ability to
travel (e.g. lockdown, no flights, guest not allowed to board a flight, guest falls ill due to a pandemic and unable to travel).
In the event of a WHO-recognised pandemic directly impacting the ability of Tanda Tula to meet its obligations with respect to the booking, all monies received, including the commitment fee, will be fully refunded (e.g.
lockdown in RSA, government restrictions on trade).
Any refund is given at the discretion of Tanda Tula management.
All travellers are advised to take out fully comprehensive travel insurance with ‘cancellation for no reason’. This insurance must be able to fully cover cancellation of travel fewer than 60 days prior to arrival.
WEATHER AND WHAT TO PACK
Summer and winter months vary in temperature, and as such we recommend guests tailor their clothing to suit the seasons:
Summer (from 01 October to 30 April): With temperatures ranging from 25°C to 50°C, pack shorts, T-shirts, swimming costumes, long trousers and a light jersey or fleece.
Winter (From 01 May to 30 September: With temperatures ranging from 15°C to 25°C, pack long trousers and long-sleeved t-shirts/shirts, a fleece, warm jacket, beanie, scarf, warm shoes and warm pajamas.
Children of 8 years and older are welcome
There is limited cell phone coverage, we encourage our guests to keep their phones on silent throughout their stay
Tanda Tula is flexible to dietary requirements